Articles are listed by the magazine in which they appear, and date:
The British Flat Figure Society Journal:
- I have in my possession 3 issues of this journal. Several issues are available for free download in pdf files at the Society website. That is the extent of my knowledge of this journal, but it is enough to conclude that it must rank No. 1 where flats are concerned. (I joined the Society this year—2013, and am glad I did.) There website is here: http://www.britishflatfigures.org.uk and http://www.intflatfigures.org
- Taylor, Mike (No. 28, January 1993). 20 Questions for Mike Taylor, pp 8, 9.
- Fischer, Walter (No. 33). Painting Flats. Campaigns Magazine, pp 19-26. (This reference is from Chuck Smith.)
Figures International Magazine:
- Taylor, Mike (No. 39, 3rd Quarter 2011). Boats of the Ancient Nile. FIM, 8-11.
- Meyer, Penny (No. 40, 4th Quarter 2011). The Grisaille Technique: What is it? FIM, 14-15. (This article is not about flats, but it is written by an exquisite painter of flats and is about a technique she also uses when painting flats. See the tutorial by her on this site.)
- Ocana, Mario (No. 41, 1st Quarter 2012). Initiation to the Flat Figures. FIM, 31-32. (He says of Michael Taylor’s book, The Art of the Flat Tin Figure, “This is the best book written on flat figures.” Everyone has told me the same.)
- Ocana, Mario (No. 42, 2nd Quarter 2012). Frames for all kinds of figures. FIM, 30-32. (This article is a Figure Workshop article and focuses primarily on framing flats.)
- Ocana, Mario (No. 44, 4th Quarter 2012). French Mounted Dragoon. FIM, 17-21.
- Meyer, Penny (No. 45, 1st Quarter 2013). Mayan Warrior. FIM, 12-17.
- Estevez, Juan (No. 47, 3rd Quarter 20130. Alea Iacta Est. FIM, 50-53.
Historical Miniature Magazine (This magazine is no longer in print, but I am working on obtaining the articles listed here and posting them on the website.)
- DiFranco, Greg (No. 39, Sept/Oct 2003). Painting Flats and the Effective Use of Color. HM, 6-15. (What a great article. I have read it at least half a dozen times and plan to return to it often in the future.
- Ferk, Peter (No. 40, Nov/Dec 2003). How I Paint Flats: One Artist’s Method. HM, 22-33. (This is another long article worth reading over and over again.)
- Weakley, Steven, Photos by Gianfranco Speranza (No. 43, May/June 2004). The Lion of the North: King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden 1594-1632. HM, 22-27. (This article contains beautiful photos of this set.)
- Speranza, Gianfranco (No. 53, Jan/Feb/March 2006). Bonaparte at the Pyramids: 1798-1801. HM, 6-10. (Again, beautiful photos taken by Gianfranco Speranza.)